Monday, April 14

Christine's Cat Catastrophe

I am feeling quite awful today. Last night I ran over my friend's cat! It was around 9:30 and pretty dark so I barely saw it dash out in front of my tires. I wasn't even going that fast because I had just stopped at a stop sign and was starting to gain speed again. I tried to slam on my breaks but I hit it anyway. I was so shaken up and it took me about 10 minutes to muster up the courage to go knock on her door. The cat had ran off and collapsed on a driveway a couple houses down, and I wasn't sure if it was hers but thought I would start there. We walked down and sure enough, it was her's. I immediately started crying and think I cried worse than she did. She was so nice about it, but I feel completely awful-especially for her kids who were already in bed and would have to find out this morning. Of course Jim is out-of-town so I didn't have anyone to cry to all night, which I did! I see this friend all the time and feel so awful.

Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do? I tried to call her today to see how everyone took the news, and I also wanted to take her over something I got for the kids, but I don't know what else to do. I also offered to buy them a new cat but she just called and said they aren't going to get another cat until they move out of this subdivision. This is their 2nd cat in a year and a half to get ran over (that makes me feel so much better). I think her husband is mad at me because he thinks I was driving too fast, but I swear I wasn't going more than 15-18 mph. How am I going to look at this friend in the future and not think about killing her cat? Any suggestions.....

7 comments:

SueAnn said...

I am so sorry! I haven't personally had this ever happen to me so I really don't have any great advice. My mom ran over my sisters new puppy after she had it only 3 days. Mom hurried back to the people, bought another puppy (sibling) that looked just like the other one and taught it to go up and down the stairs like my sister had taught the last dog. The funny thing is that my mom dislikes dogs and had to spend the whole day with it teaching it new things. She didn't tell my sister for several weeks because she felt so bad!!! You are so sweet, I am sure they aren't angry with you!

Amy said...

That is a hard one, but losing an animal is the risk you take by having one that can roam free. It is sad, but hopefully everyone involved will know that it was an accident and be able to forgive.

Pickett Fences said...

Christine,
I am sorry for you sadness. I don't have a personal experience but I have one of Travis' that makes you look like an angel that you are so mornfull.

When Travis was in high school him and his friends accidently ran over a cat of the persons house they were T.P.ing. So instead of telling the family they left put it behind a girls car that was one of their class mates car who lived there so she would think she ran over her own cat. Still to this day she still thinks she killed her own cat. I think that is awfull.

Amberlee said...

I personally haven't had this happen, but Ed ran over our neighbors dog. They were really nice about it though. I'm sure that your friend knows how terrible you feel and won't hold a grudge!

Britney said...

So sorry! I bet you are being harder on yourself than your friend is - it was an accident! I hope you start feeling better!

TripleM said...

Everyone is right--she is ok with it! Quit beating yourself up about it. And like Amy said, that is one of the risks of letting your animal roam free.

TripleM said...

Oh yeah...triplem is the one who got her cat run over ;-)